
Ghana plans to request the extradition of a Russian man accused of secretly filming his sexual encounters with women and sharing the footage online without their consent.
The suspect, described by African and Russian media as a self-styled “pick-up artist” and online blogger in his 30s, reportedly travelled to Ghana to covertly record his interactions with women. Some reports claim he used sunglasses fitted with a hidden camera, though officials have not confirmed the method.
Speaking to journalists on Saturday, Ghana’s technology minister, Sam George, said he had invited the Russian ambassador to discuss the case.
Earlier, Ghana’s Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection said initial investigations suggested the suspect had likely left the country. The ministry stressed that this did “not reduce the seriousness of the alleged conduct or the state’s responsibility to pursue accountability”.
George said he had asked the Russian ambassador in Accra for Moscow’s cooperation in securing justice for the victims. However, Russia rarely extradites its citizens, except in extreme circumstances.
The minister told BBC News: **“I have invited the Russian ambassador in Ghana for a meeting.
“The actions of the Russian citizen flout our cyber-security laws. I will officially indicate to the ambassador our official position.”**
He also told reporters: **“That gentleman will be looked for, we will activate every resource in our disposal working with Interpol.
“We will request the Russian authorities – and that is why I have invited the Russian ambassador – to work with our law enforcement.
“We want the gentleman to be brought back to Ghana, extradited to Ghana for him to face the rigours of our law.”**
George added that Ghana could try the suspect in absentia if he fails to return.
Local media reports suggest the same individual had previously been involved in similar illegal acts in Kenya.
Under Ghana’s Cybersecurity Act 2020, publishing explicit images of adults or children without consent carries penalties of up to 25 years in prison. Ghanaian authorities have increasingly focused on online abuse, including sexual extortion and romance scams, with a growing number of arrests in recent years.
The post Ghana seeks extradition of Russian blogger accused of secretly filming women appeared first on Vanguard News.
